13/08/22 - Paterson East

(Paddysat) Overhead image discussions, overlays and comparisons
Forum rules
Please start all threads with the date of image capture DD/MM/YY
strudel
Reactions:

13/08/22 - Paterson East

Post by strudel »

Kudos goes to Liam for spotting this activity on a target, credit to Bamps for knowing its name, called A9.

{Small nod to all Teuchters who consider the A9 to be the bane / joy of their lives....}

Overview first so you know where to look - blue circle top middle of image:
13 08 22 Paterson East A9 activty.jpg
And then a zoom in on the detail of what is there. The first pad looks like it was cleared on the 13th August, with a drill rig on it by the 18th Aug, and it is still there on the 23rd Aug, marked with the blue arrow.
13 08 22 Paterson East A9 activty detail.jpg
And on overview of what else is going on in the northern part of our tenement up there including the Tama target that is also destined to be drilled in 2022, taken from here (PDF document link I hope below....)

https://greatlandgold.com/wp-content/up ... images.pdf

Tama and A9 targets Paterson East.jpg
Read on, the next poster will cover it all better....
malbar111
Reactions:

Re: 13/08/22 - Paterson East

Post by malbar111 »

I would like to know how using satellite technology came about how long its been used and who's idea it was?
Rotherby
Reactions:

Post by Rotherby »

malbar111 wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 8:39 am I would like to know how using satellite technology came about how long its been used and who's idea it was?
I think, (not know) but it has been used since the 1960's initially (as soon as you could get cameras up there, safer than U2 for those that remember) to spy on the east or the West depending on who's satellite it was.

Then like GPS having been developed for the military, civilian uses came into being once the technology was available.
With GGP for the long term, for my Children, Grand Children and the Great Grand Children, put simply the Tribe
strudel
Reactions:

Post by strudel »

Landsat started in 1972....it was an American initiative. Weather satellites had been operational since 1960 but no-one had thought about looking at terrain until the idea was put forward in the mid 60s as a direct result of fly by viewings of distant planets..... a case of "Hey guys, why don't we look at our own planet too?"

I guess companies and researchers paid money for pictures from the Landsat satellite dataset in the 70s, 80s and 90s. I recall buying a satellite image to help when hiking in Tierra del Fuego in 2001 due to the lack of decent topographical maps - it's all sensitive border country. Unfortunately its scale was such that a three day hike was equal to the width of the tip of my little finger, so not much use for hiking, but a very pretty picture of the south of Patagonia (both sides of the border).

The internet, with images, rather than just text got going in the early 90s.

So question - when did you personally get hold of a computer in your house, connect online and start looking at web pages with pictures? Painfully slow over a dial-up modem.... then domestic connections got faster. I recall the day that I had two web pages open simultaneously(!) on my home computer without the whole thing timing out and grinding to a halt.

The Sentinel 1* (radar imagery) satellite launched in 2014.
Sentinel 2 (day light imagery) launched in 2015.... both are a European initiative.... with every image made available for free (at poorer resolutions) or at a cost (for really good resolutions of specific areas).

Make something free and people will find all sorts of unexpected uses for them. Keep improving the resolution and more things become possible. (I recall reading a study by an Australian PhD student who was monitoring the effectiveness of the rabbit-proof fence they built across western Oz - the vegetation was clearly different just after the rainy season - with a clear north-south line.)

I started following GGP's progress and learning how to use the available online satellite imagery courtesy of folks like PaddyG, AM90 and Value_Seeker (and probably others whose names I have forgotten) in mid 2018 inspired by reading the GGP LSE board.

Since then I have discovered that relatively fresh satellite imagery has all sorts of handy uses courtesy of "good enough" resolution for Scottish hiking such as working out snow cover on ridges in spring; reaching normally inaccessible islands courtesy of dry summers and low water levels in lochs; and for large beaches where sands shift a lot working out the arrangements of spits and lagoons at low tide so you can plan a walk without getting caught out.

*Sentinel-1B was declared official dead on 3rd August 2022 - "bad soldering" was blamed for weakening a capacitor in a power supply, tsk tsk, always wipe your soldering iron tip properly - and not on your trouser leg. Sentinel-1B is the satellite that did radar for our latitude at HAV. The good news is that they are launching Sentinel-1C in 2023 - or maybe even sooner - in late 2022. The rocket used is part manufactured in Ukraine - so we can blame that pesky Putin for causing uncertainty about quite when. The intention is for 1C to fill in the blanks left by the sad demise of 1B.

Read more here:

https://spacenews.com/esa-ends-efforts- ... ntinel-1b/
malbar111
Reactions:

Post by malbar111 »

Thanks for very informative information but I would like to know in regards to GGP
strudel
Reactions:

Post by strudel »

@Malbar,

I don't think GGP use satellites as much as the PIs on chat boards. They are more interested in what is happening below ground..... which we are too, but we don't have access to any decent geological data on that topic until an RNS is published.

You see pictures occasionally used as backgrounds for other, more useful, geological imagery gathered by other means. An example is hopefully below taken from GGP's 31st May JORC report about Juri. ( Link: https://greatlandgold.com/investors/regulatory-news/. )
Screenshot_2022-08-28-08-35-07-30_e2d5b3f32b79de1d45acd1fad96fbb0f.jpg
The top image has the red background of the northern bit of Blackhills taken from a satellite - with electromagnetic data overlaid. The more commonly seen image in GGP publications is the one below from an electromagnetic survey. This does not involve a satellite but is from a helicopter flying around with an enormous loop of wire dangling below it. That is probably as dangerous as it sounds....

Satellite imagery would be useful if GGP were trying to work out how to get a drilling rig and crew to a planned drill location for a specific target within a remote tenement - every lighter colour diagonal long stripe is a very high sand dune which a drill rig cannot drive over. In some parts of the outback the dunes form an impenetrable maze. Part of GGPs strategy is to get tenements accessed or bisected by existing roads or tracks - so that they don't end up like Artemis who, last I heard, weren't even sure how they were going to physically get to their Juno and Voyager targets.
malbar111
Reactions:

Post by malbar111 »

Thank you very help full