What have the Romans done for us? Ok, I mean Shaun.

All things Greatland Gold.
Costa
DEV TEAM
DEV TEAM
Reactions:

What have the Romans done for us? Ok, I mean Shaun.

Post by Costa »

What have the Ro... Ok ok.

Sent some of the remarks (again) about Shaun from a member over there and wanted to gauge the feeling amongst SHs here.

What has Shaun Day done for us as shareholders? Or more to the point Greatlands future?

What does Shaun bring to the table?

What are his strengths?

Is there anything he could have done better?

What is the best thing he's done, perhaps his best achievement so far?

What is the worst thing he has done?

Do you have faith/confidence in Shaun?

Any further thoughts?

Discuss...
Gelli Aur
leslieby101
Reactions:

Re: What have the Romans done for us? Ok, I mean Shaun.

Post by leslieby101 »

100% faith in the bloke and backed up with multiple purchases since he took the helm.
As for the naysayers over on LSE, all they say goes against everything the guy has done since his stewardship started and tbh, sod the lot of them.
lebugue-addick
Reactions:

Post by lebugue-addick »

Here are a few things Shaun has done - on a positive front - to kick things off in a small way:

* orchestrated the MRE upgrade to 6.5 million ounces of gold equivalent which itself is ultra cautious by his own admission;
* has put in place a strong management team capable of holding its own in discussions with Newcrest and others;
* arranged for the JV team to meet 5 times a month, adding to GGP's credibility as an increasingly knowledgeable company
* has not let Newcrest get their way on buying the 5% at the first opportunity - clearly negotiating hard on behalf of shareholders to maximise the $ from what appears to be a less than favourable agreement
* engages strongly with shareholders and the media to sell the GGP story
* has a track record of creating shareholder value everywhere he's been
* has attracted more institutional shareholder to the register
* notes "bank financing underway with objective to be fully funded up until free cashflow"
"If I said you had a beautiful ore body would you hold it against me?" :lol:
lebugue-addick
Reactions:

Post by lebugue-addick »

Funnily enough this is a post I made on 23 December on the other place in response to other naysayers:

"Life of Brian, I mean Greatland" - 23 Dec 2021 @ 11:28am

Nevergone, plode, ericeric and other naysayers: “And what did Greatland ever do for us?”
Paddy: “Gave us world class assets”.
Nevergone, plode, ericeric and other naysayers: “What?”
Mushroom Kid: “Havieron’s MRE of 4.4 million ounces of gold equivalent?”
All Greatlanders loudly in unison: “The Gold!”.
Nevergone, plode, ericeric and other naysayers: “Oh. Yeah, yeah, they did give us that, ah, that’s true, yeah”.
Bamps: “Don’t forget the Copper!”
BottleRocket: “And the brilliant updates every 6 weeks”.
Nevergone, plode, ericeric and other naysayers: “Yeah, all right, I’ll grant you the gold, the copper and the updates - the only three things Greatland has ever done”.
Hydrogen: “And the PFS”.
Nevergone, plode, ericeric and other naysayers: “Oh, yeah, obviously the PFS. I mean the PFS goes without saying, doesn’t it? But apart from the gold, the copper, the updates and the PFS.…”
TakingMyTime: “The Juri JV”.
Tiggerman: “A brilliant partner in Newcrest”.
VikingShrimper : “The nearby Telfer plant”.
Panama: “The decline”
Nevergone, plode, ericeric and other naysayers: “Yeah, yeah, all right, fair enough”.
SpeedyMeadie: “And the strategic presence in the Patterson”.
All Greatlanders (except Nevergone, plode, ericeric and other naysayers): “Oh, yeah! Right!”
Dip666: “Yeah! Yeah, that’s something we’d really miss if Greatland pulled out. Huh”.
Napthman: “A £700 million market cap”.
Mickey1122: “And one of the safest jurisdictions in the world to go mining”.
Naysayers, mostly defecting: “Yeah, they certainly know how to do the business. Let’s face it; they’re the only ones who could in a place like this”.
All Greatlanders (except Nevergone, plode, ericeric and the few remaining naysayers): “And we look after indigenous people”.
Nevergone, plode, ericeric and other remaining naysayers: “All right, but apart from the gold, the copper, the updates, the PFS, the Juri JV, Newcrest, the Telfer plant, the decline, the strategic presence, £700 million market cap, a safe jurisdiction and looking after the indigenous people, what has Greatland ever done for us?”
Door4left: “Brought in Shaun Day and great geologists to take us mining?”
Nevergone, plode, ericeric and the other one remaining naysayer: “Oh, yes SD! Shut up!”
"If I said you had a beautiful ore body would you hold it against me?" :lol:
Costa
DEV TEAM
DEV TEAM
Reactions:

Post by Costa »

LA,

Great post!

Agree with all of that, he does seem to be ahead of the game and his work so far has been exemplary. I would add that he's built a great team and is sorting governance matters with an eye on the future as well.
Gelli Aur
DipSard
The Oracle
The Oracle
Reactions:

Post by DipSard »

What does Shaun bring to the table?
His initial podcast from July 2020 focusing on his career and subsequent podcasts displayed he has built a thorough understanding of the mining industry outside financial matters and having been a CFO at NSR who have experienced the path we hope to see in a flagship asset becoming the foundation for growth into a leading Australian miner bodes well.
Why? Because managing one of the most important issues for a company experiencing rapid growth as we hope to do is fiscal responsibility. Many fail at this key criteria and find the demands from growth lead to issues in funding that growth and demands it places and ultimately fail.

What are his strengths?
His financial background allied to what I have seen evidenced to date is a thorough understanding of the industry
Understanding that he needs to build a strong team and rapidly moving to do so
Strategical insight appears a strong area
Communicates a vision and strategy for GGP very well, essential to help bring in investment

Is there anything he could have done better?
On reflection most agree the late 2021 fund raise was well thought out - but perhaps moved quicker to explain the reasoning
He has agreed that giving further clarity on incentives structure is important and intends to do so at AGM, I expect the initial outcry was a learning curve
I understand that the Option Exercise is subject to confidentiality but could have set better expectations and some clarity is still required on the mechanics of the process IMO

What is the best thing he's done, perhaps his best achievement so far?
Working quickly to build a strong cross discipline team has enabled us to release a GGP MRE that has a very comparative focus to the far more conservative PFS from NCM and given that both will probably form the foundation of the valuations, I am optimistic in the final outcome and certainly feel he has helped us put our best foot forward.

What is the worst thing he has done?
Again, clarity on the option exercise needs to be improved, this is the key area IMO of uncertainty presently more-so than any difficulty we might experience with obtaining funding given we already have term sheets in place from a conservative NCM PFS. I feel this lack of clarity has aided the effectiveness of the shorting but it is also a legacy agreement in JV that he inherited, and I think we all look forward to getting it behind us.

Do you have faith/confidence in Shaun?
Yes - for reasons stated above but of course the proof is in the pudding and he has many key stages to navigate this transition period from explorer/developer towards near term producer and of course beyond production.
I won't judge him fully in such a short period in the context of the evolution of GGP into a mining company or become negligent in assessing his performance - but ultimately to date - very satisfied in him.
“Study the past if you would define the future.” ― Confucius
Costa
DEV TEAM
DEV TEAM
Reactions:

Post by Costa »

Bloody Hell Dips that is another fantastic post. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

You really are the Renaissance man!

Thank you.
Gelli Aur
paddygall
Reactions:

Post by paddygall »

lebugue-addick wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:32 pm Funnily enough this is a post I made on 23 December on the other place in response to other naysayers:

"Life of Brian, I mean Greatland" - 23 Dec 2021 @ 11:28am

Nevergone, plode, ericeric and other naysayers: “And what did Greatland ever do for us?”
Paddy: “Gave us world class assets”.
Mushroom Kid: “Havieron’s MRE of 4.4 million ounces of gold equivalent?”
All Greatlanders loudly in unison: “The Gold!”.
Nevergone, plode, ericeric and other naysayers: “Oh. Yeah, yeah, they did give us that, ah, that’s true, yeah”.
Bamps: “Don’t forget the Copper!”
BottleRocket: “And the brilliant updates every 6 weeks”.
Nevergone, plode, ericeric and other naysayers: “Yeah, all right, I’ll grant you the gold, the copper and the updates - the only three things Greatland has ever done”.
Hydrogen: “And the PFS”.
Nevergone, plode, ericeric and other naysayers: “Oh, yeah, obviously the PFS. I mean the PFS goes without saying, doesn’t it? But apart from the gold, the copper, the updates and the PFS.…”
TakingMyTime: “The Juri JV”.
Tiggerman: “A brilliant partner in Newcrest”.
VikingShrimper : “The nearby Telfer plant”.
Panama: “The decline”
Nevergone, plode, ericeric and other naysayers: “Yeah, yeah, all right, fair enough”.
SpeedyMeadie: “And the strategic presence in the Patterson”.
All Greatlanders (except Nevergone, plode, ericeric and other naysayers): “Oh, yeah! Right!”
Dip666: “Yeah! Yeah, that’s something we’d really miss if Greatland pulled out. Huh”.
Napthman: “A £700 million market cap”.
Mickey1122: “And one of the safest jurisdictions in the world to go mining”.
Naysayers, mostly defecting: “Yeah, they certainly know how to do the business. Let’s face it; they’re the only ones who could in a place like this”.
All Greatlanders (except Nevergone, plode, ericeric and the few remaining naysayers): “And we look after indigenous people”.
Nevergone, plode, ericeric and other remaining naysayers: “All right, but apart from the gold, the copper, the updates, the PFS, the Juri JV, Newcrest, the Telfer plant, the decline, the strategic presence, £700 million market cap, a safe jurisdiction and looking after the indigenous people, what has Greatland ever done for us?”
Door4left: “Brought in Shaun Day and great geologists to take us mining?”
Nevergone, plode, ericeric and the other one remaining naysayer: “Oh, yes SD! Shut up!”
Remember reading this on LSE when you first posted it LA - It's as funny and true now and it was then - apart from our MCAP is slightly lower

Our time is fast approaching - the frequency of the inane posts on LSE is testament to that.

GLA - Paddy
Havieron - the gift that keeps on giving :o
DipSard
The Oracle
The Oracle
Reactions:

Post by DipSard »

Thank you Costa and Liam for creating a place where we can have mature and balanced discussions and and intelligent questions receive intelligent answers Costa :-)

Great format to the thread by Costa all, would be great to get your thoughts along his format in assessing Shaun's time at GGP to date, I suspect they'll find the input useful as I have no doubt GGP are using this forum to assess genuine investor sentiment.
“Study the past if you would define the future.” ― Confucius
zoros
Reactions:

Post by zoros »

On the other hand..............

What metric are we comparing SD to? How many amongst us has had 6 years as a CFO in a major and is now a CEO/MD of a future junior miner?
Where do we tap into our professional knowledge to assess his success rate(s).
As an industry outsider, I look for comparators between leaders of industry, people who are good for the company taking it in the right direction and along the way - transparency with its shareholders.
From this perspective - SD is the right man for the job.
Second guessing when or how he structures debt, chooses how and when to drill here there or anywhere, is outwith our remit.
Z
speedymeadie
Reactions:

Post by speedymeadie »

Hi All. SD has elevated our co to a serious contender for the best bet on aim. Having invested on aim for what seems ages, ggp with SD leadership is without doubt the best and safest aim listed co i have ever had the pleasure to be involved in. I was going to consult my crystal ball but the display could not handle the numbers. ATB Speedy